Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Musical tracks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-slowth-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Musical tracks Reply with quote

Was competing on the rounds racetracks and came across the racetrack with 'The Spencer Davis Group-Im a Man' song playing over it.It worked like a charm,great track for a great track.Really gets the adrenalin flowing.
I forget who made it but well done you. my questions are..
1)Why arent all of you top course makers taking this guys lead and adding music to your own designs?
2)What songs do YOU think would work?

First song that came to my mind that would work was Led Zeppelin-Black Dog...imagine racing along to that!
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt top gear do a vote 'Which is the best driving song?'

If i remember correctly, Queen won which made the whle thing completely void, but they had some decent songs on there that could be used i guess.

When putting music on to a track, it needs to be put on the internet somewhere that provides a direct link. Then i think you have to use locators and it has to be .ogg and i have to read some tutorials on this if were going to become a musical server because i dont have a clue. Sad

Off topic, i was looking at the aseco server controller the other day and i think there are a few things we could maybe have.

1) A limit to the number of tracks that can be voted for, by a racer. They can get more votes by winning races.

If i got slightly annoyed with people (Bonobo isnt so bad because he choses the good tracks, but Dave Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ) then i would just win all the races stopping the votes hehe Laughing

2) I thought of this while reading the post. Maybe we could have a list of music tracks, like /tracks, and the racers choose their own music to race to. Not sure of this would be possible without editting the source code for the game though (which is illegal atm, and they've got starforce protecting it)
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm some reasons...

1. Music choice
Music is a very personal thing. What is one persons idea of music is another persons idea of a nasty headache. Most TM track music is heavy metal style and not to everybodies taste. The ability to raise and lower the volume of the music at will also makes this difficult.

2. Computer Load
Downloading a different music track for each course adds considerable computing load within the game and will cause users of slower machines considerable lag. It also greatly increases bandwidth usage and you need somewhere to store it on the internet.... all of these factors cause trouble as we all use photobucket for the graphics but their isnt a music bucket that will host the files.....

3. Copyright
Though it's doubtful that you would be prosecuted for inserting music into race tracks I believe it's possible that you could be.... and as I'm the host of over 300 racing circuits I stand to lose more than most.

4. Effort
Whilst we all like to think were awesome at track building the truth is adding music will add even more time to it's creation and some of us just don't have the time.

5. Media player
A considerable number of players race without the music (myself included)and use media player or a CD/MP3 player to accompany their racing. that way you can't complain about the selection and it can use less resources.
Though be careful if your on teamspeak because everybody else might not appreciate your taste for indy rock
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehehe i beat you mad by a couple of seconds Laughing Laughing
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha so you did... my reply sounded a bit harsh... sorry didnt mean it like that.

steve you can't split music and tracks. The music is supplied at validation and cannot be altered. The jukebox feature is for race tracks only and lets you que up tracks... and download then direct from tmx if you know what your doing and it's enabled.
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but, but.........on z rounds i voted for a track, then it said i didnt have anymore votes Sad Sad so i had to go win a race to vote again. Which was accomplished relatively easily Very Happy muhaha.

But i think that would be good on mad laps/rounds to stop the spammers who just type /vote (random number). And also dave, and bonobo.

Shame music has to be saved to a track, and cant be put on the server on a playlist, like tracks can Crying or Very sad
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where you're coming from steve. People generally vote for tracks they are good at and they win and the whole cycle will go on for ever.

I saw one bloke voting for trax and as soon as they arrived he went -- because he hated them and wanted them off the server!

(Cz Rounds has auto erase for tracks with low karma. I don't like this feature, especailly as a track builder. The best tracks take a few goes to master but noobs come on, crash after 10 seconds and give it a -- and before long it's off the server. It can eventually fill the server with easy, uninspiring trax.)

Oh yes, Music! I turned mine off ages ago. I did think of making a track with the backing of Devil in Disguise by Elvis, with the fast bits coinciding with the fast racing bits and the stops coincinding with air ... but I never got round to it. ...
-slowth-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunsenjetson wrote:
I did think of making a track with the backing of Devil in Disguise by Elvis, with the fast bits coinciding with the fast racing bits and the stops coincinding with air ... but I never got round to it. ...

Yeah,that's what i'm talking about..that'd work great g'wan,g'wan,g'wan g'wan you know you want to Smile Youre already a star in my eyes but if you wanna be a GOD,well...

Good points Steve & Mad,i was just thinking if its been done once then it can be done again but you're right,i'll just have to disable the music and put my own on like you're doing.
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you've noticed but all our best tracks have really bad ratings Smile. I think its because the most opinionated racers are rubbish know it alls!
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's true! People used to laps and time attack often find rounds tracks too much of a compromise and instantly hate them. Ideally, a rounds track should be relatively easy to complete but difficult to master, so everyone gets a fair chance at finishing. You do have to think about people new to the game and the server, and try not to scare them off with really tricky ones, especially as they'll find themselves sitting around for ages when they fall off. Some people don't even have that much patience, and give bad karma to tracks they haven't really given a chance. Is there a way of limiting -- and ++ voting to people with a certain minimum rank or number of attempts at a track?
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be fun

Noob: --
Auto-message: You haven't raced enough to vote yet! Twisted Evil
LaValle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: I DO use music in my tracks Reply with quote

I DO use music in my tracks silly, its just that it all sucks because everything good is a WMA format, and audacity doesn't like them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LaValle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Speaking of track music... Reply with quote

Just since we're on the subject of track music, would it be ok with everyone if I put a Cat Stevens song on one of my tracks ? I DO NOT want to offend anybody so PM me if you have a reply.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Cat Stevens that offensive? I mean outside US Immigration, that is ...
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting discussion and a good read.
Devil in Disguise idea is so cool and funny, Cat Stevens uncool and hilarious Laughing
sry Lavalle i'm sure somebody making music for 40years must have made something decent since Matthew & Son. It's academic seeing one of Mad's objections raises copyright infringement doubts. These are well founded since the Performing Rights Society are casting around for any income they can get. They are currently hauling Kwik-Fit through the courts for their grease monkey's love affair with crappy pop on the radio.
oh, and did anybody else spot the hacker? Laughing

Skin by Baino
JawZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital evolution - time attack server in the netherlands section is a musical server, seems to have a mixture of gabber/trance/heavymetal/weird folk songs lol styled stuff...works well.
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheh, I know DE but I never go there, didn't know that's a musical server Laughing
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost always play with TMN muted and play music using media player.

Usually listen to fast music like DragonForce... helps me drive faster Razz
Spanky_McCoy
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I play the following while racing

1. Eastbound and down (theme from Smokey and the Bandit)
2. Highway Star, Deep Purple
3. The Cannonball Run, Chuck Mangione
4. Radar Love, Golden Earring
5. Magic Carpet Ride, Steppenwolf

Gets my motor running so it does Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PelicansMoldo wrote:
Heheh, I know DE but I never go there, didn't know that's a musical server Laughing

tracks are insanely difficult. but i noticed dutch servers seem to be dominated with insane tracks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: