Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPECIAL GP - POSTPONED BY A WEEK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Munkhi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok to points 3 and 4, I understand that. But points 1 and 2 are moot if finishing isn't taken into consideration, only position when time runs out. That way everyone plays in one race, and all the scorekeepers need do is get a screenshot of the result. It might work that way.

So will the handiloop groups be dynamic? For example, if player X starts in group 1 (the slow group on Thurs) and finishes very high a couple of weeks in a row, will they be shunted to group 2? If it's static from the start of the season then handiloop will suffer the same point 4 as tiering.

mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The handicap system will be totally dynamic... and even set by the players so that you could handicap yourself more to gain more points if you think you'll do well on a particular track.... A minimum handicap will be set for each racer so that you can't romp away in first every race and defeat the whole purpose of the handicaps. A racer consistantly winning by a long way will have their handicap increased etc etc.
evil_homer
All-Round-Good-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we have another special event run this way then i think the sosteve group should have the option of going in the middle group (even steve)
i was discussing the special event with Good Homer before the races and we both assumed we'd be in the middle tier (i even thought Little Deanio would be in the middle group) we're all of similar ability, Little Deanio beats me all the time on {prs}stadium and i usually have good battles with them both on all the servers were on and Good Homer has done 25 laps before.

turned out a good decision for Little Deanio as he put in a good effort considering it was his first 25 lap race (i nearly caught him though) but i think it might have affected Good Homers game

i know Good Homer may not have put in good lap times on the warm up as he kept changing his car before the start so maybe this was a factor in his group?
Munkhi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad wrote:
A racer consistantly winning by a long way will have their handicap increased etc etc.

Will an enforced extra handicap also increase their points if they still win?

What will the point multipliers be in relation to extra handicap?

mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The higher the handicap, the higher the points reward.....

The system has not been worked out yet.
HotSWAT

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad wrote:
The higher the handicap, the higher the points reward.....

The system has not been worked out yet.

hmm...i like that idea, but still, when considering a track for GP's there are more things to take into account when using handicaps , e.g. full speed tracks are harder for elites to gain time on than tech tracks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad wrote:
Tiers can't work with everyone on the track. We don't have the admin powers to do different races for different skills and a tiered system can't accommodate someone's improvements during a season.

Ok, at first, I'm all for what you guys decide but i have a few questions..^^

I agree with "Tiers can't work with everyone on the track".
However, why don't you have the adminpowers to run 3GPs in a row on a Thursday??
Furthermore, a tier system is (as you said Mad) something, that doesn't change in between seasons. It would need 2-3 seasons to be totally balanced but I think there shouldn't be a problem if you're too good/too bad for your tier for one season because your reward (in both ways lol) will be the ascending/descending into the higher/lower tier....
we could also shorten the seasons^^ (but i don't want to mention stupid ideas just to promote the tier system..)
whatever you guys vote for (maybe we should do a vote to get everybody's opinion), i'll be ok with that...
Munkhi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's 2GPs per week that'd add up to 6 GPs. If you throw in warmups and stuff you'd be looking at most of the night being used up.

Again, tiers can work if done right... Rolling Eyes But I am coming around to the handiloop system - now that there'll be points modifiers it doesn't just seem like punishment anymore Smile

Last edited by Munkhi on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Bea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotSWAT wrote:
e.g. full speed tracks are harder for elites to gain time on than tech tracks.

Is it not the other way about? Razz I only started to work my way through most of the field on the techy/slower track we did first on Thursday by around lap 15-18 but I was already in 1st place by lap 12 on the 2nd track. Exclamation

Full speed/high speed tracks punish mistakes like hitting the wall much harsher than on tech tracks because a drop in speed can leave you running at a lower speed for almost the entire remainder of the lap (and you could even need a full other lap to regain your speed again). Just compare that to hitting a wall on a techy/slower track where you'll quickly reach a point on the track you *will* have to slow down for and you can carry on after this corner at the same speed you normally would, regardless of you having hit a wall or not.

Compare hitting the wall at the start of the back straight (after the grass-drift) of track 2 from Thursday to hitting the wall at the start of the 270 degree left-hander at the end of the lap on track 1. You would lose a relatively small amount of time/speed on track 1 compared to the large amount of time/speed on track 2.

This is why I think, if we were to use handicap, that speed tracks should keep their 7 handilaps and the techy tracks should be the ones set to 6 (for Elites).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bea wrote:
HotSWAT wrote:
e.g. full speed tracks are harder for elites to gain time on than tech tracks.

Is it not the other way about? Razz I only started to work my way through most of the field on the techy/slower track we did first on Thursday by around lap 15-18 but I was already in 1st place by lap 12 on the 2nd track. Exclamation

Full speed/high speed tracks punish mistakes like hitting the wall much harsher than on tech tracks because a drop in speed can leave you running at a lower speed for almost the entire remainder of the lap (and you could even need a full other lap to regain your speed again). Just compare that to hitting a wall on a techy/slower track where you'll quickly reach a point on the track you *will* have to slow down for and you can carry on after this corner at the same speed you normally would, regardless of you having hit a wall or not.

Compare hitting the wall at the start of the back straight (after the grass-drift) of track 2 from Thursday to hitting the wall at the start of the 270 degree left-hander at the end of the lap on track 1. You would lose a relatively small amount of time/speed on track 1 compared to the large amount of time/speed on track 2.

This is why I think, if we were to use handicap, that speed tracks should keep their 7 handilaps and the techy tracks should be the ones set to 6 (for Elites).

well, excluding the crashes..(lets imagine an easy full speed track Razz)
what i mean is if a non-elite and an elite did 25 laps without crashing on a full speed track, the elite would probably gain about a second a lap.

but with a tech track of the same length, the elite could gain up to 3 seconds a lap. more corners = more time to gain.

but you're right in a sense, just another aspect of choosing the right track is, 'will slower players crash on it more than slow players' or 'will faster players crash on it more than slow players'. I just think the handicap system has too many variables
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, each GP track will be different and due to skill levels and style of racing, track length etc no single design of handicap loop will suite them all...
I'm thinking of a small formula for handicap loop sizes to reflect the length of a track and maybe we then also need a way to factor a tracks skill level. A trawl through the records should show the kinds of tracks where the skill gap is the greatest... we will not always get it right but if players can adjust their own handicap then it becomes a strategic war as well as a racing game Smile
evil_homer
All-Round-Good-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having the tracks on the server only half an hour before the races must have made a difference. on the second track i jumped left by total accident on the practice, then decided it may be the faster way, it was certanly the easier for me. saw some people jumping right too

the second race i think you could of had it with no handiloops but were the elites couldn't use the cuts/alternate routes
Bea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched someone take the alternative route when watching the replay for track 2 and it looked slower than the taking the loop since the jump after the loop kinda throws you round the corner anyway.

You *can* bug on the loop though so it balances out in some sense. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's 2 ideas.

1. Leave the GP season system as it is.

2. Replace solo cup with handicap races.

Thoughts?
evil_homer
All-Round-Good-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dantski wrote:
Here's 2 ideas.

Thoughts?

sounds good to me, that way the solo cup is still kept as fun and the gp is left as serious. but then again i'm not doing the gp.....
you could do the solo cup rounds one week, handi-loop 25 laps races the next, even a teams race the next Idea
HotSWAT

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dantski wrote:
Here's 2 ideas.

Thoughts?

exactly what i said a page or two ago Razz
HotSWAT wrote:
i reckon the team championship should be left as normal. Mainly because I think its better if you have at least one league to show people where they really are relative to others. The best in Group 2 would turn into the new elites, and the worst in group 1 would end up average.

maybe the solo series could be handicapped, it's a bit more geared towards fun-lovers than the competitive.

Spam King

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ ditto
Bea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dantski wrote:
Here's 2 ideas.

Thoughts?

Yes to 1.

No comment for 2. since I don't do the Cup on Saturdays. Surprised
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dantski wrote:
Here's 2 ideas.

Or we could try to do something different this season as some of us have had the same format for the last 4-5 seasons and have grown tired of it. Dantski you haven't competed in the GP's in a while so maybe haven't seen how formulaic, predictable and dull it is becoming. Bea and Munkhi you guys haven't competed at all and you're calling for no changes to something you haven't experienced yet. Give it a chance and see how it goes, nobody is saying that the format won't be changed again if it doesn't work out but we have people calling for it to not even be given a fair go.

Dantski wrote:

I think Mid has got quite a good series going without doing away with it.
Thoughts?[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The race we did on Thursday is enough for me to make up my mind on what I thought about a handicap system. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: